By Matik Kueth
Kenya’s Special Envoy and Former Prime Minister, Raila Odinga, has expressed frustration after President Salva Kiir denied him access to meet First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar, currently under ‘house detention.’
Odinga flew to Juba on Friday at President William Ruto’s request to try to calm the ongoing tensions in South Sudan following Machar’s arrest.

Raila Amolo Odinga Oginga, Kenya’s Special Envoy and Former Prime Minister, shakes hands with President Kiir on Saturday, March 29, 2025. [Photo: Courtesy].
Odinga noted that he was informed that he could not visit Machar due to ongoing investigations into alleged murder crimes in the Upper Nile.
“I had a lengthy discussion with President Kiir, who told me about the challenges they are facing and that there was the killing of a general and ten other people in the town of Nasir in the Upper Nile, and this is what they are investigating,” Raila revealed.
He added, “Because of this, he said that Vice President Riek Machar had been put under house arrest as they continue with their investigations. I asked to talk to Machar, but they denied me the chance.”
Hours after meeting with Salva Kiir, Odinga traveled to Entebbe, Uganda, where he met President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.
During the meeting in Uganda, Odinga informed Museveni about the ongoing developments in South Sudan, as he was not granted access to FVP Dr. Machar.
Odinga called on the international community, particularly the United Nations, to step in and help find a swift solution to the is to prevent further escalation of the crisis in South Sudan.
“However, they had not made a direct connection between him and the killing, but we hope that they are going to finalize his matter as quickly as possible. They said that when I go back to Juba, they will allow me to meet with Riek,” Odinga said.
Machar was arrested on Wednesday, March 26, by a squad of armed security personnel who entered his residence in Juba, disarmed his bodyguards, and detained him and his wife, interior minister Angelina Teny, according to his press secretary, Puok Both Baluang.
Also, Machar’s security personnel and aides were also taken into custody, while Machar and his wife were placed under house arrest, a move the SPLM-IO party views as a violation of the 2018 peace agreement.
However, Machar’s arrest has since attracted international backlash, with the United States and the African Union being among the first to call for his immediate release.
On the other hand, in a press conference on Friday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged South Sudanese leaders to maintain peace to avoid returning the country to conflict.
“Fully restore the government of national unity, and vigorously implement the promises you made through your commitments to the peace agreement, which is the only legal framework to peaceful, free and fair elections in December 2026,” Guterres urged
The Secretary-General also appealed to the leaders to “put down their weapons.” Put the people of South Sudan first.”